Saturday 2 November 2013

Two Go Up The Mountain...Will Two Come Down?

As I've mentioned here, my parents moved back at the end of August.  It's a rather complicated situation that saw them spend a month living in a pretty cool cottage at the foot of Mt. Sutton.  My Mom thought it would be a good idea if I were to come down one day and take a little trip up the mountain as it would be sure to result in several good photographs.  I thought it seemed like a good idea and I invited My Lovely Assistant along for the trip as walking around a mountain is the kind of thing she enjoys.  Little did I know, my Mom's good idea would almost spell my doom!  The first sign of trouble came when I discovered that the ski lift wasn't available the day that I went to visit.  That meant it would be time to climb.  We decided to go to the Round Top, a spot that the guide told us would provide all kinds of nice views.  The board at the base of the mountain said that it would only be a two hour hike to where we wanted to go, but despite spending a good five hours on the mountain, we still never got closer than 1hr 30 minutes, according to the signs along the path, from where we wanted to go.  Not being the most fleet of foot, I managed to slip on a rock and knowing that I had a camera in my right hand, I decided it best to use my left arms to cushion my fall.  We finally found ourselves at this lake you see here in the photograph, despite my being sweaty, bloodied and sore.  I wasn't coming down without at least one photo, so I put the camera into Manual mode and tried to find a way to capture the image you see here while preserving the blue sky and the reflection in the water.  I ended up taking this photograph at f/11, 1/250sec, ISO 400 at 60mm.  I really like the reflection in the water and how it, along with the treeline in the sky seem to lead you towards the center of the photograph.  I was also happy to keep the blue in both the sky and the water without either being blown out.  Another of the features I like are the three trees in the right hand side of the photo that managed to have some sunlight fall on them, despite the rest of that side being in shadows.  We then decided to head back down the mountain despite never reaching our destination, which is probably a good idea since my Mom was on the verge of calling the police since we had been gone so long.  Guess she had a feeling that My Lovely Assistant was trying to kill me, as well.  Or maybe they were in on it together.  Hmm.  Better luck next time

No comments:

Post a Comment