Wednesday 13 August 2014

My Friend Of Misery

It's been a little bit over a week since anything new has been posted on the site.  I hope that some of you out there have missed me.  I've been pretty busy of late and this site, along with my Facebook Page, have kind of been neglected.  One of the things that have kept me busy of the last little while was the Heavy Montreal music festival.  For those of you who may remember, I mentioned last year that I was going to bring my camera to the festival this year to try and get some photographs of the many bands in action.  I ended up going back n that decision, and it was probably for the best as the ban on DLSR cameras was still in place, and I didn't see any actual fans with them this year.  So, in an effort to stay musical, I've decided to post up a few portraits that I took of my buddy Louie and his guitar a few years ago.  Louie is my partner in Heavy Montreal crime and he was kind enough to pose for these photographs while I was taking my photography courses at Concordia University.  These were taken in a studio setting, using pro flashes and everything.  It was a great course.  Louie's guitar was also a popular prop that night as many of the other student's ended up asking to use it as well.  This isn't Louie's first appearance on these pages.  He also made an appearance last year in the wake of my failure to get any good Heavy MTL shots with a point & shoot camera, and was also the subject of one of my very first posts on the site way back in 2012.  The poses are similar, I wanted Louie to hold the guitar as if it were a gun as he got ready to shoot the viewer full of rock & roll. I did a better job of getting his eye in the first shot, but I like the way that I framed him better in the second shot.  Both photographs were taken at f/8, 1/60sec, ISO 100, though the first one was at 52mm and the second at 50mm.  There wasn't much use in changing the settings because, as I mentioned, these were shot under studio conditions.  We also used a white backdrop, which may be a little unsettling to the eye as they background of this page is white as well, but I really like them when their seen on their own.  My schedule should be freed up a little bit soon, so we'll hopefully get back to some more recent shots soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment