Tuesday 26 April 2016

Candy Jar

One of my favourite things to photograph is candy.  I mean, who wouldn't enjoy spending some time with a model that is always bright, colourful and can be eaten when everything is over.  However, something that I have found to be a problem over my last few visits to Bulk Barn is that there is only so much candy that you can photograph.  Jellybeans and Smarties look real nice in photographic form, but when you've done it once, there isn't really much of a need to do so again.  So, this is where the need to be a little bit creative comes in handy.  A little while back I took a photograph of some jujubes.  A friend of mine liked the photograph and forwarded to me a photograph of some jujubes she had placed in some plastic jars as gifts to be given to the kids who would be attending the birthday party she was throwing for her son.  I mentioned that it was a nice idea for a gift and that it might also be a cool photograph to see the jar on its side with the candies having tumbled out.  Just like that, the flash bulb went off in my head.  Yeah, I think that it would make a pretty fun photograph.  I had a fresh batch of jujubes, all I needed was a jar.  I decided to go find an expert, that being My Lovely Assistant.  She had some small Mason Jars which were the perfect size for what I wanted to accomplish.  I filled about three-quarters of the jar and then tipped it over onto a wooden cutting board.  Some of the candies tumbled out naturally, and I pulled a few more out and closer to the rim of the jar.  I then took several photographs using different settings, flash, just direct sunlight and sometimes both.  I used a Macro lens for these photographs since it does a good job of magnifying the candies and also give a little extra 'blur' to the background.  I tried to edit myself a little bit, but I figured that since nobody can eat just one jujube, why just look at one photograph of them.  Each of these five photographs had a little something that I liked.  From the colour of the candies, to the reflection of the candy colours onto the jar.  In particular, the little dash of red that you can see around the rim of the jar.  The first photograph was taken at f/5.6, 1/160sec, ISO 100 at 60mm.  The second photograph was taken at f/4, 1/250sec, ISO 100 at 60mm.  Here are the other photographs that I took of the candy jars.

f/16, 1/30sec, ISO 100 at 60mm

f/4.5, 1/250sec, ISO 100 at 60mm

f/7.1, 1/200sec, ISO 100 at 60mm

The best part about photographing candies is that after you've finished your afternoon project of shooting, there is a handy little snack just waiting for you. Everybody wins!


No comments:

Post a Comment