Thursday 27 April 2017

Prong At The Metropolis

I would have to say that the best cure for some end of exhibition blues is a blast of loud music.  If that's not enough, a blast of loud music from three of the fastest and loudest bands to ever take the stage should be enough to do the trick.  That's how I found myself at the Montreal Metropolis the other night with two of The Usual Suspects to blast some of the blues out of my system.  The first band to take the stage on this night was Prong.  Though they formed in New York in the late 1980's, the sole original member of the group is guitarist/signer Tommy Victor.  I knew a few of their songs, including their most famous 'Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck', but they never really showed up in my record collection.  That might have to change based on their performance.  To my mind, the VIP of the show was drummer Art Cruz who would keep a pounding beat on the drums while playing catch with a mysterious roadie offstage as they tossed drum sticks at each other.  I tried really hard to catch the act in action, but from my location mid-floor and with only a 50mm lens, it wasn't easy.  I still managed to get a shot of the game of catch, and though it is real grainy it's still a great memento of a terrific performance.  Photographically speaking, it was the same struggle as usual.  Shooting from near the soundboard while only using a 50mm lens is not a piece of cake.  I tried to make the most of things by trying to time the lighting to get as much light on the musicians as possible, while also trying to photograph some of the patterns that the lights would make against the backdrop and around the band.  I think I managed to grab a couple fun photographs.  The first photograph was taken at f/2.5, 1/100sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm.  The second photograph was taken at f/3.5, 1/125sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm and the third photograph was taken at f/3.5, 1/30sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm.  Here are a few more photographs I managed to take during the performance.
f/3.5, 1/50sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm

f/3.5, 1/100sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm

f/3.5, 1/50sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm

f/3.5, 1/125sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm

f/3.5, 1/125sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm

f/3.5, 1/125sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm

f/2.5, 1/100sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm

As I mentioned, there is lots of grain in the photographs due to the high ISO, but I'm happy to have gotten the photographs that I did.  So ends the first part of our show.  I'll let you take out your earplugs for a while, but there will be more shots here soon as two other performances are yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment