Monday 1 May 2017

Sepultura At The Metropolis

We've gone through my photographs of the opening act, Prong, and now it is time to get on with the show and visit our second band, Sepultura.  Sepultura was formed in the early 1980's in Brazil by brothers Max and Igor Cavalera, though neither are currently with the band.  As such, the most senior members are bassist Paulo Jr. and lead guitarist Andreas Kisser, who have been playing since 1985 and 1989 respectively.  I was a fan of early Sepultura, though I must admit that I haven't actually bought any of their albums since the departure of Max Cavalera.  I was pleased to see this new-to-me version of Sepultura and that the still retain the thrash/groove metal style that I remembered.  It was great to hear songs from their great albums like Roots, Chaos A.D. and Arise, but I also liked the songs off of their latest album, Machine Messiah, which is their reason for being on tour at the moment.  Photographically, I was still suffering from the same old far from the stage/low light conditions that are the norm.  These shows can sometimes get a little violent, in a fun kind of way, as you'll see in the next update.  One thing I liked about this show their light show.  With a variety of crossing lights and colourful gels, it made the concert visually interesting as well.  The first photograph was taken at f/4, 1/80sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm and the second photograph was taken at f/3.5, 1/100sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm.  Here are a few more photographs that I took during the show.
f/3.5, 1/160sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm

f/3.5, 1/30sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm

f/3.5, 1/60sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm
 
f/3.5, 1/60sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm

f/4, 1/125sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm

f/4, 1/125sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm

f/4, 1/160sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm

I was pleasantly surprised with the seventh photograph.  Most guitarists love to flip back their hair while playing a heavy riff, but from my position, I rarely get to capture the act.  Kind of a 'holy grail' kind of photo from a guy like me shooting from the crowd.  Only one band remains, but before they took the stage we were treated to one of the oddest intermission songs I've ever heard played over the PA during a show.  'You Make My Dreams Come True', by Hall & Oates.  It was at the same time an awkward, yet interesting change of pace.  One more band to go, they'll be here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment