Sunday 4 June 2017

Festival Classica & CHOM Present Back To The Beatles in Saint-Lambert

Outdoor concert season is upon us, and for me, the first big show of the year is usually the Festival Classica in Saint-Lambert.  My Lovely Assistant and I usually attend the annual Classica Rocks open air concert put on with the sponsorship of local radio station, CHOM FM.  As usual, a full orchestra and choir play classic rock songs under the stars. This year, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of their releases, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Magical Mystery Tour by The Beatles were given the classical treatment and played in their entirety.  As in years past, we got their fairly early because in Saint-Lambert they seem to like attending their concerts in deck chairs.  We planted ourselves a fair bit behind the rows of chairs, but were still treated to some rather unneighbourly pushing and shoving by some locals who decided the ideal place to watch the concert would be about 5cm's in front of us.  Back to the concert, the music was handled by l’Orchestre symphonique du Conservatoire de musique de la Montérégie (OSCM), le Chœur Radio Ville-Marie as well as l’Ensemble vocal Katimavik, all under the direction of Simon Fournier.  Since I was fairly back from the stage, I decided to shoot using a telephoto lens, but near the end of the show as the crowd was beginning to thin out, I managed to sneak around the concert site a little bit and found myself right at the front of the stage where I was able to snap off a couple of photographs, including a rather cool shot of the conductor in midair.  From my position further back, I tried to get some shots with the conductor's arms stretched out, as he is kind of the star of the show, despite having his back to the crowd for the majority of the show. I also tried to play around with different aperture settings and shutter speeds to play with the lights as a series of photographs that all looked the same would get a little tiring after a while.  I also did the same thing while editing the photographs, using some different sized crops along the way.  I think that I ended up with a rather diverse set.  The first photograph was taken at f/11, 1/25sec, ISO 800 and 70mm.  The second photograph was taken at f/13, 1/100sec, ISO 1000 at 180mm.  The third photograph with all of the lens flares was taken at f/16, 1/30sec, ISO 1000 at 70mm.  The fourth photograph was taken at f/5.6, 1/160sec, ISO 800 and 155mm and the fifth photograph was taken at f/5.6, 1/250sec, ISO 800 and 135mm.   Here are several more of the photographs that I took during the concert.
 f/5.6, 1/160sec, ISO 800 at 168mm

f5.6, 1/80sec, ISO 800 at 200mm



f/5.6, 1/80sec, ISO 800 at 24mm

f/6.3, 1/125sec, ISO 800 at 40mm

f/6.3, 1/200sec, ISO 800 at 32mm

f/6.3, 1/160sec, ISO 800 at 27mm

f/6.3, 1/125sec, ISO 800 at 34mm

Though the weather was a little chilly by June standards, not that I am complaining, the atmosphere was warm as everyone on hand enjoyed the performance which included two encores.  The Beatles and classical music made for a great mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment