Tuesday 20 June 2017

Magnolia Blooms

It has been a few years now that I've been getting invited to my brother's home to photograph his magnolia tree when it blooms in the spring.  Timing always seems to be an issue, but a rather chilly Spring, couple with a Mother's Day celebration at his place meant that I had a small chance.  Most of the petals had already fallen to the ground, and those left were really showing their age, but I managed to find a few that I could take close-up shots of their carpels and stamens.  These were taken late in the afternoon, so I ended up using my flash to make sure that all of the details and colour came out.  The flowers only remain in bloom for a week or two, so I was happy to get these photographs at all.  The first photograph was taken at f/9, 1/250sec, ISO 100 at 70mm.  Here are a couple more photographs taken that afternoon.

f/9, 1/250sec, ISO 100 at 70mm

f/9, 1/250sec, ISO 100 at 51mm

It had sprinkled on and off that day so the little rain drops were an added bonus.  Seems that the actual tree is quite the sight to see when it was in full bloom.  We'll have to see if I can fit it into my schedule next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment