Tuesday 21 November 2017

They Turned On The Lights

Last week I made my way up the new staircase that links Longueuil to Montreal via a sidewalk on the outside of the Jacques Cartier Bridge.  When I went up there the first time, I was disappointed because though some new lights were installed on the bridge and have been lighting it up at night, on that evening it seem like a bare minimum of them were being used.  Having a bit of a hard head, and being disappointed because I didn't get what I wanted, I decided to climb back up those 108 steps a couple of nights later and just moments after sunset, the lights came on and I had a smile on my face.  Over the next several minutes as the sun disappeared, I snapped several photographs as the sky went from red to light and then dark blue.  I still didn't understand why the lights were suddenly back to normal, when the last time I had been there, they seemed frozen.  It was My Lovely Assistant who finally was able to find the answer to that question.  She read that the first night I had gone up the bridge, the lights were purposely dimmed due to it being Remembrance Day.  Mystery solved.  The first photograph was taken at f16, 3/10sec, ISO 100 at 200mm and the second photograph was taken at f/16, 5sec, ISO 100 at 200mm.  Here are a few more photographs that I took while I was up there.

f/16, 6sec, ISO 100 at 200mm

f/16, 30sec, ISO 100 at 200mm

f/16, 8sec, ISO 100 at 200mm

Obviously when looking at the shutter speeds involved, I used a tripod, but I still ended up getting lots of blurry photographs.  This was because the passing cars were causing some vibrations on the metal staircase.  It was a little frustrating at times, but as you can see, I still came away with some nice shots.  Much like the other update, I used the Curves and Colour Balance feature in Photoshop a little bit to get the sky to be a little more red, but as usual, my manipulations were limited to that.  Even though it seems this bridge has been featured several times on the blog this year, it was still fun to be shooting from a new spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment