Tuesday 19 December 2017

A Little Shaky

In order to be successful when taking photographs of fireworks, there are two things that much any photographer should have.  You need a sturdy tripod and a remote switch to trigger the shutter.  Sadly, about ten minutes before the fireworks show from the Old Port of Montreal was to begin, my remote switch took its last photograph.  I was taking some test shots to make sure that everything was in focus when I hit the button....and nothing happened.  I wasn't just going to pack up and leave, I do like to watch fireworks displays after all, but I was reduced to trying to take photographs by pressing my finger against the shutter button on the body of my camera and holding it in place.  The method works, but it also leaves open the possibility of the photograph being ruined by camera shake.  Since the exposure time on these types of photographs is a couple of seconds, and it's really hard for the human body to remain perfectly still, the reality is that even the smallest of movements gets recorded in the form of broken lines and things appearing out of focus.  As a result, I was only able to salvage two photographs from the evening and had to do a few Photoshop tricks to mask the lines and make it appear sharper.  The first photograph was taken at f/16, 20secs, ISO 100 at 28mm and the second photograph was taken at f/16, 8sec, ISO 100 at 28mm.  There are a few more of these winter fireworks shows, so I'll be getting myself a new switch and I'll be getting back out there soon enough

No comments:

Post a Comment