Wednesday 27 December 2017

Paul Mahannah's Barn

I suppose that I could be described as a sentimentalist.  On most trips to visit my parents, I often find myself driving a little bit extra out of my way just to pass in front of the homes where, once upon a time, both sets of my Grandparents used to live.  The barn located where my paternal Grandparents used to live has been slowly deteriorating, to the point where I'm pretty sure that some of the roof has caved in.  Sensing that time may be running out before the building comes down for good, and seeing a nice fresh coat of snow on the barn, I stopped and got out of my car long enough to snap off a photograph.  From information gathered from my father, the larger part of the barn with the triangle roof dates back to the early 1900's and the smaller addition on the right was added in the 1930's.  The hay rakes were found on the property and placed in this location by the current owners.  I can still remember looking out the yellow doors of the smaller part of the building, as well as the old window and the little knickknacks, tools, bottles and assorted items that would hang on the walls and window sills.  The photograph was taken f/11, 1/100sec, ISO 100 at 34mm.  The building may be falling down, but it still has lots of character and holds many years worth of memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment