Tuesday 20 March 2018

Dad's Birthday Cake

For many of you reading out there, March 20th is the first day of Spring.  A day that I know many of you out there have been waiting for to arrive. March 20th has a different meaning for me though, as it's my Dad's birthday.  We had a little birthday party for him this weekend and My Lovely Assistant made one of her delicious cakes for the occasion.  Of course, I took advantage of her cooking to continue playing in the kitchen with my camera.  This was a chocolate cake with pear halves baked into the crust.  She added some sparkles and chocolate shavings onto the chocolate mousse topping to make a surefire hit for any chocolate lovers out there, but still something light and fruity that doesn't feel overly heavy to eat.  In order to get my photographs, I had to be a little more creative with certain things as the cake was wider than the white background that I usually use.  It came in handy for the first photograph, which was taken at f/5.6, 1/250sec, ISO 100 at 40mm.  I tried to follow the line of the plate with this shot, while also showing the toppings.  For the second photograph, taken at f/5.6, 1/250sec, ISO 100 at 43mm, I listened to a suggestion from My Lovely Assistant, who lived up to her title, who suggested that I use the kitchen wall as a background. This allowed me to get the entire cake into a shot.  I used a simple cloth for dish drying to cover the table and add a little colour and texture to the bottom of the frame.  The third photograph, taken at f/16, 1/25sec, ISO 800 at 60mm was a fun close-up of the sparkler and chocolate toppings.  My Lovely Assistant did a great job with the chocolate shavings, melting some dark chocolate into a fine layer before chipping at it with a knife.  I wanted to capture her handy work and my little Macro lens did the job almost as well as she did.  As with most of her creations, this one didn't last very long after being served.  As for my Dad, I think that he had a good evening surrounded by family.  Happy Birthday Dad, I hope that there are many more of My Lovely Assistant's desserts waiting for you in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment