Thursday 1 March 2018

Different Points Of View

From time to time, I like to put up two similar photographs and showing some little differences.  The photographs you see below are the latest example.  I took them during one of the winter Fire On Ice fireworks shows that happen down at the Old Port of Montreal.  You can see some of the other photographs that I took of that set by following this link.  Since I was shooting the fireworks from across the river and I wanted to make sure to get as much of the fireworks and the downtown buildings into the shot as possible, I was using a wide angle lens, knowing that some cropping would have to be done later.  This year, there was a new element in the landscape as a large Ferris Wheel was added to the Old Port.  While cropping, I wanted to keep the image tight, but I also wanted to get the wheel into my final image as well.  If I want to look with a more objective eye, I think that the first photograph is probably the better final image because everything looks nice and tight, compared to the large open space in the top right hand side of the second photograph.  However, there's also a part of me that prefers the second photograph because more of the wheel and city can be seen.  The photograph was taken at f/16, 13sec, ISO 100 at 32mm and cropped to 24" x 36", though to include more of the city in the second.  I still like both of them which makes it a good thing that this is my blog since I get to put both up.  Feel free to decide among yourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment