Sunday 22 July 2018

Montreal International Fireworks Competition - Canada

It's time to play a little bit of catch up here on the old blog.  The L'International des Feux Loto-Québec continued last night, but these photographs are of the fireworks display that took place last Wednesday evening.  On that night, the fireworks were put on by Canada, who were represented by the Apogée Fireworks company.  They have been in the business of lighting up the sky since 2001 and have won many different competitions.  I believe that this was their first time at this competition and they certainly put on a great show.  For this one, I decided to go back to a new location that I tried last year.  It's a wooden dock just down river from the site at the beginning of a bicycle path.  What I like about this location is that it allows me to not only shoot some traditional 8" x 12" photographs, but I can stretch them out as well.  I would use the fireworks to fill one end of the photograph and the Montreal Biosphere, which is always illuminated with different colours now, to fill the other.  The one drawback to this site is that since I'm standing on a wooden deck, anyone who happens to be passing by causes vibrations through the wood, which is not really something you want to be dealing with while doing long exposure photography.  Luckily, this ended up being a rather low traffic night.  The first photograph was taken at f/16, 10sec, ISO 100 at 59mm and  the second and third photographs were taken at f/16, 15sec, ISO 100 at 59mm.  Here are some more photographs that I took during the show.

f/16, 13sec, ISO 100 at 59mm

f/16, 8sec, ISO 100 at 59mm

f/16, 20sec, ISO 100 at 59mm

It was another successful evening of fireworks and photography.  The tree line has grown near the front of the Biosphere so I'm not sure how many more times I'll be able to shoot from this location.  However, that will be a problem for another year.  It's hard to believe, but the competition is already half done.  Get out there and see some fireworks before it ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment