Monday 30 July 2018

Montreal International Fireworks Competition - United States Of America

This is the story of a show that I almost missed.  Saturday night's entertainment was due to be a concert given by the Preville Big Band (photographs can be seen here), but Mother Nature had different plans.  Down came the rain and washed the concert out.  With a sudden opening in my schedule, I decided to try and rush out to find a spot to photograph the fireworks.  My first attempt was met with several people already taking up the prime spots, so I rushed back to Seaway Park for my 'emergency last resort' location.  I managed to find a spot there, but with so many traffic lights between the the fireworks and myself, the location doesn't lend very well to traditional 8" x 12" photographs.
However, by shooting with my wide angle lens and angling the camera further down the highway, this spot does allow me to create some fun 'wide angle' style photographs.  I end up with the fireworks on one end and then light streaks and traffic lights leading off into the other.  It was the turn of the United States of America to show off their colourful explosions.  It was the firm Pyrotecnico who had the honour of representing their Country.  Pyrotecnico has been creating fireworks displays since 1889 and their work has been seen at competitions, films & television, sporting events and concerts.
That final category probably played into the theme for their show, Rock Loves...Redux, an update on their show that earned the company a Golden Jupiter Award at the 2008 edition of this very competition.  The soundtrack featured terrific music from classic rock bands like Rush, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Poison, Foo Fighters, Guns 'N Roses and finshed off with AC/DC's classic, Shoot To Thrill.  The first photograph was taken at f/16, 8sec, ISO 100 at 24mm.  The second photograph was taken at f/16, 10sec, ISO 100 at 24mm and the third photograph was taken at f/16, 13sec, ISO 100 at 24mm.  Here are some more photographs that I shot during the show.


f/16, 15sec, ISO 100 at 24mm

f/16, 13sec, ISO 100 at 24mm

f/16, 13sec, ISO 100 at 24mm

Shoot to thrill they certainly did.  The mix of explosions and hard rock was more than enough to keep me entertained.  The earlier rain left a bit of humidity in the air which caused the smoke to stick around a little more than usual, but I've seen far worse during my years taking photographs of these shows.  This show will probably put Pyrotecnico back in the running for a second Golden Jupiter.  I guess we'll find out in a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment