Sunday 30 December 2018

Distant Explosions

Well, not every idea is going to be a good one.  I usually shoot them from my side of the St. Lawrence River and always feel impressed how little the buildings look next to the fireworks.  Things kind of went the other way with this outing.  With the image of large fireworks dancing in my head, I made my way to to Mount Royal.  However, as you can see from these photographs, the fireworks come off looking much smaller from a distance.  The view of Montreal is still nice with all of the lights in the buildings, but many of those buildings also ended up blocking the blasts.  So, I played with the photograph sizes a little bit, stretching them out to try and capture as much light as possible.  The first photograph was taken at f/16, 25sec, ISO 100 at 24mm and stretch out to 12" x 4" and the second photograph was taken at f/16, 20sec, ISO 100 at 24mm.  Here are a few more that I took while up on the mountain.

f/16, 25sec, ISO 100 at 24mm, 12" x 3"

f/16, 20sec, ISO 100 at 24mm, 12" x 4"

f/16, 10sec, ISO 100 at 51mm

f/16, 10sec, ISO 100 at 51mm
 
The last two are actually the same photograph, just cropped a little differently.  You could say that I'm a little disappointed with this set.  On the other hand, they are still fun to look at and it's always nice to see the colourful Montreal skyline.

No comments:

Post a Comment