Thursday 12 November 2020

Champlain Bridge Sunset

The one thing I miss the most since we moved our head office one year ago is photographing sunsets next to the bridges of Montreal.  I was fortunate enough to live within walking distance of two of those bridges and longtime fans of the page will know that they have featured prominently in my photographs.  However, one bridge, or two in this case, that has so far escaped being featured here is the old Champlain Bridge and its new replacement, the Samuel de Champlain Bridge.  Knowing this, My Lovely Assistant decided that with the warm November weather we were experiencing, it was the perfect time to visit the new bridge.  The Samuel de Champlain Bridge has an awesome walking path that features a great view of downtown Montreal.  I had hoped to take my sunset photograph from up there, but it was terribly smoggy over the city and the view was not very nice at all.  Also, it was at that time that The Heir Apparent decided she didn't really want to be up on the bridge any longer so we made a u-turn about half-way across and made our way back.  The Heir Apparent must have been clued in to something, as once we got back on land, the sky over both bridges cleared out and the sun began to set.  It could be seen peeking through one of the concrete piers of the old bridge.  My only dilemma was that I couldn't decide which cropped version of the photograph I liked more, so they both get posted.  The photograph was taken at f/16, 1/125sec, ISO 100 at 50mm.  I didn't end up getting the skyline shot I was hoping for, but the bridge is fairly new and should be around for a few more years.  Or at least I and many tax payers certainly hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment