Thursday 31 December 2020

The Sun Sets On 2020

I usually begin this yearly post by saying how it was an exciting and eventful year spent behind my camera.  But, lets be honest, the only word that is clean that I can use to describe this year is crappy.  Granted, 2019 was going to be tough for me to follow up on, but nobody could have predicted the disaster that 2020 has turned into.  There were still a couple highlights.  I managed to photograph a few concerts before everything came to a crashing halt, including my first paid concert shoot (merci beaucoup Baby Boomers Band).  I once again got a few photographs onto CTV Montreal and into the La Presse + newspaper.  I often mention that I have enough photographs in the archives to go an entire year without taking any new ones, and I nearly ended up going that route.  All of those photos in the archives came in handy at time, but they just don't replace the thrill of shooting something fresh and new.  I miss my concerts, fireworks and special events.  Luckily, all of the bad was countered by one giant good.  Back in January My Lovely Assistant and I welcomed The Heir Apparent into our lives.  Though you haven't seen much of her here on the old blog, I assure you that she was my favourite subject this year.  You could say that this year was a roller coaster of emotion.  Luckily, I had just the photographs on hand for such an occasion.  These were taken on an early Autumn day while the La Ronde amusement park was still open.  I was hoping to capture a sunset against the city, but the sun wasn't co-operating.  Before leaving, I noticed that the roller-coaster was running and I had a clear view of the people on the ride.  A quick snap on the way up, and another snap on the way down.  The first photograph was taken at f/5.6, 1/800sec, ISO 400 at 200mm and the second photograph was taken at f/5.6 1/400sec, ISO 400 at 200mm.  A good representation of what was certainly a year full of ups and downs.  Here's to hoping that 2021 has more ups as we could certainly use some.

No comments:

Post a Comment