Thursday 21 October 2021

Peter Pumpkinhead

"Peter Pumpkinhead came to town, spreading wisdom and cash around." I was listening to the radio earlier this month when a song played that I hadn't heard in many years.  It was 'The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead', a song originally recorded by XTC in 1992, though the version I am most familiar with, and the one that played on the radio that day, was the 1994 cover version by Canada's own Crash Test Dummies.  I immediately became obsessed with the song after not having heard it for many years.  It being mid-October, pumpkins were starting to sprout up everywhere on our daily walks and we were given a pumpkin by my parents during a visit for Thanksgiving.  I immediately knew that I had to take a photograph of it, and began calling it 'Peter' whenever The Heir Apparent would look curiously in its direction.  After looking at the poorly drawn face, you should be able to see rather quickly why photography was chosen form of art rather than drawing.  Uneven triangles aside, I raked up a bunch of leaves that were still nice and red after having recently fallen from my neighbour's tree and plopped old Peter right in the middle of the pile.  The photograph was taken at f/2.8, 1/160sec, ISO 100 at 70mm.  "Hooray for Peter Pumpkin, who'll pray for Peter Pumpkinhead."  Hooray indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment