Wednesday 5 January 2022

Heritage Wall

Sometimes, without any reason at all, something will just catch my eye and it becomes a bit of an obsession.  Back before this most recent wave of 'The Plague, I found myself at L'Astral in Montreal for a concert.  Up on the stage were Brittany Kennell and Tenille Townes (feel free to follow those links to see the photographs), but there was something behind the stage that had grabbed my eye.  Usually the back wall is always covered by either curtains or a band banner, but on this night, there was no covering, giving us a clear view of what was usually hidden.  What we saw was this great old brick wall and several pipes.  A brick wall that I later discovered dated back to 1910 when the building was built and then later named after the family that built it, the Blumenthal Building.  It opened to the public in 1911 and I couldn't help but think how many other people had looked at that wall in the more than 100 years that it had been there.  I took a quick photograph at f/3.2, 1/15sec, ISO 5000 at 70mm before the show began as I really liked the way the light and shadows fell on the wall.  The building was renovated into it's current form back in 2008 after having been declared a Heritage Site back in 1990.  All of that history hidden behind curtains.  I guess I can understand, but I'm very happy that I got to see that little piece of Montreal history.

No comments:

Post a Comment