Thursday 25 May 2023

A Shadowy Light

The use of flash has been a thorn in my side.  It can be a very powerful tool, yet I'm still not 100% comfortable using it.  With that in mind, I'm also always trying to practice using flash and have gone through enough AA batteries over the years to ensure that the Energizer Bunny will have a very comfortable retirement.  My latest flash adventure took place in the backyard on a grey afternoon.  Our apple tree is in bloom and I decided to take a closer look.  As often happens, it was a mistake that put me on the right path.  I accidentally had a leaf block some of the light from my flash on one of my first shots, and looking back, I thought it looked kind of cool.  So, I re-positioned the leaf so that the top of the flower would have a shadow over it while the bottom would get a nice dose of flash.  The photograph was taken at f/16, 1/200sec, ISO 100 at 70mm with flash and the shadow was provided by a well placed leaf.  Hopefully, a nice juicy red apple will be filling that space in a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment