Thursday 4 May 2023

Old Friends

"I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid."  It's May 4th, Star Wars Day, which means it's time to go back to a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.  This year I decided to pair up a couple of old friends.  It's true that Obi-Wan Kenobi never owned R2-D2, but they certainly had lots of adventures together.  Their relationship goes back to the first episode of the Star Wars series, The Phantom Menace, when the little R2 unit saves a ship with a much younger Obi-Wan on board.  R2D2 would go on to be more of a partner to Obi-Wan's Padawan learner, Anakin Skywalker, before eventually being paired up with Anakin's son, Luke.  In between though, many stories were shared.  My little R2 is looking a little rough, but when you consider that I've been carting him around since the 1980's, and that I was one of those kids who actually played with his toys, then I suppose I'm lucky that he is as intact as he is.  The Obi-Wan figure actually belongs to my brother, but I guess I have laid claim to it since it has been residing in a box in my basement for about 25 years now.  He's got a little dust on him, but I chose not to remove it for this photo as the Obi-Wan / R2D2 reunion took place on the desert planet of Tatooine, where old Ben certainly found lots of dust on his tattered robes.  The photograph was taken at f/8, 1/200sec, ISO 100 at 28mm.  May The Fourth, and The Force, be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment