Tuesday 11 September 2012

Choeur Vives Voix


Back in the month of April, a friend of mine invited me to photograph a show that her choir group was putting together.  The show was called Contre Temps and it was put together by the Choeur Vives Voix, http://www.vivesvoix.ca/.  I was nervous about accepting to help them out as I had never photographed a live stage show before.  However, I was also really excited about accepting because I really wanted to photograph a live stage show.  The experience was one that I will never forget.  I went for the final dress rehersal and had full access to the floor, allowing me to position myself anywhere I wanted to get the best shots possible.  Knowing that I didn't have a reliable telephoto lens, I got myself as close to the stage as possible and shot away.  I was using my Canon 24-70mm lens as it was the best quality 2.8 lens that I have.  The light was very low, so I had to crank the ISO up to 1600, which terrified me as I was afraid that all of my photographs would be grainy.  Much to my relief, there was no such problem.  This image was shot at f/2.8, 1/30 sec.  It is my favourite shot from the show, and one of my favourite experiences I have had as a photographer.  More of my photographs from this show are available on their website, http://www.vivesvoix.ca/photos-contretemps.shtml.  Mine begin with photograph #8 and continue to the end.  I hope I get the chance to work with them again.

***UPDATE 1/24/2013***

A little photo  update to go along with the announcement that I will once again be photographing the show put on by the Choeur Vives Voix, http://www.vivesvoix.ca. The show this year will be called Romeo vs Juliette and if it is anything like the show they did last year, then it will be a smashing success.  Go to their website to find out more about the show and how to get tickets.  The above shot was taken at f/2.8, 1/100sec, ISO 1600 at 40mm.  As explained above, the high ISO is necessary due to the relative lack of light in the theater while 1/100sec is near the absolute slowest you can go to capture movement without much in the way of blurring.  I can't wait for April.

No comments:

Post a Comment