Friday 7 September 2012

I Want A New Lens

Had a nice visit to the city of Brockville, Ont. today.  I took a cruise of the 1000 Islands, thanks to http://www.1000islandcruises.com, and I learned two things.  The best view is on the left side of the boat, and that I really hate my Canon 75-300mm f/4 - 5.6 lens.  Okay, that's a harsh word, but I do have a love/hate relationship with it.  It saved my hide when it was time to photograph the final fireworks display of 2012, but today on the boat, all it did was give me headaches.  This is probably the nicest shot of the day, out of the 234 photographs I originally took and the 78 that remain after a rather severe triage.  This image was shot at ISO 100, f/5 for 1/250 sec.  It's probably the least attractive photo you'll ever see of the 1000 Islands, but I chose it because I love the 'Keep Off' that was written on the rocks by someone who is obviously not a fan of visitors.  So, why bother to post a picture that I don't like?  Because it's important to remember that while every outing might not result in 'amazing' shots that are meant for an art gallery, they will serve their purpose as personal mementos.  Keep practicing and learn from your mistakes.  Also, keep off of this guys island.

No comments:

Post a Comment