Sunday 23 September 2012

Farewell Summer

Those who know me are well aware that no tears were shed on my part with the changing of the seasons.  30+ degrees of sun, sweat and humidity are not my thing.  But, 11 degrees of cool, late summer overcast sky is not only music to my ears, but is wonderful for photography as well.  The big clouds reflecting on the calm lake and the empty chair on the dock just had a "thanks for coming, summer.  See ya next year." feel to it.  It's kind of tricky to take good sky photos as often the sky is way to bright for the rest of the image.  In order to avoid a dark foreground or a blown out sky, I took my readings off of the dock, which was pretty close to a neutral shade of grey.  I ended up shooting at ISO 100, f/9 for 1/500sec. This made sure that the dock would be the proper exposure, even allowing for the shadow from the chair to appear.  There are some small parts of the sky, near the whites of the clouds that are a bit blown out, but I don't feel it's really all that noticeable.  It also helped that the clouds themselves were a good shade of grey as well.  I really like this photo as it has lots of elements that I enjoy to looking at.  The puffy clouds, the blue sky, reflections on the water and the way that the red chair grabs your eye.  All that's missing is the empty bottle and you'd have the makings of a good beer commercial.

No comments:

Post a Comment