Friday 21 March 2014

A Twist Of Lime

Sometimes inspiration can come from a likely source.  I'm a big fan of photography magazines.  I've been reading Digital Photographer magazine for several years now, and have both learned, and been inspired by the things I find within its pages.  This February, I began reading another magazine.  My Lovely Assistant decided to give me a very creative Valentine's Day gift, a subscription to Photolife Magazine.  Upon my first time through the magazine, I was stopped by a photograph of a slice of lime, taken using a Macro lens.  I decided I wanted to try taking one myself.  In order to get the right lighting, I needed to make sure that the lime was lit from underneath.  To achieve that, I took my slice of lime and placed it on top of a plastic ziplock style plastic container.  I then rested that container on top of my flashlight and then began shooting away.  My first slice of lime wasn't quite thick enough, and the light ended up drowning out the colour of the lime.  I then cut a thicker slice and had much more success.  I took this photo at f/4, 1/40sec, ISO 100 at 60mm.  I added a slight touch of green to the image using the Colour Balance tool in Photoshop and ended up with an image that I really like.  I like this new technique, it really brought out the details in the slice of lime.  I'll probably try it again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment