Thursday 27 March 2014

Still Playing With My Food

I know that it's considered rude to play with your food, but I can't help it.  It's Mother Nature's fault.  You all know that I've gone on the record several times saying how I enjoy the winter.  Well, one drawback is that other than the snow, there isn't very much more out there to photograph.  As a result, I kind of took to looking around the house for things to shoot, because as any photographer will tell you, the moment you stop shooting is the moment you stop learning.  This winter, my shooting seems to have, for the most part, taken place in the kitchen.  What I like about shooting food is the different shapes, colours and textures that you encounter.  In order to bring all of those things out of these grapes, I began by leaving them in the fridge overnight.  I then poured some water over them, placed them on a place and put them next to a bright window.  I also used my flash and bounced some more light from the ceiling down onto them.  In the first photograph that you see, I tried to focus on the largest grape and them framed the image so that the grape I had chosen to focus on was on the lower third of the photograph.  In the second photograph, I kind of did the opposite, putting the focus on the two grapes just above the other grape.  I wanted to see what the image would look like if the foreground was blurred instead of the background.  I like the little blur of light that we see on that out-of-focus grape.  Sticking with the light, the fact that the grapes were wet kind of ads an overall glow to them that I really like.  Both photographs were taken at f/6.3, 1/250sec, ISO 100 at 60mm.  I think I'd like to play with grapes once again, but next time, maybe play with the shutter speeds to see what kind of effects it will have on the final image.


No comments:

Post a Comment