Sunday 16 March 2014

Happy St. Frozen Fingers Day

Get ready to see some words that have never been seen before on this blog, and have very rarely ever come out of my mouth.  Holy crap was it cold outside today!  It probably wouldn't have been that bad if I wasn't standing still in one spot for a couple of hours and wearing gloves that didn't cover my fingers, but wow was I feeling the chill of winter.  Today was Montreal's 191st St. Patrick's Day Parade.  Beginning in 1824, the parade is the oldest St. Patrick's Parade in Canada.  They say that everyone is Irish on St. Patrick's Day, and I myself have roots that go a couple of generations back on my father's side of the family.  As such, I enjoy going to the parade every year, or whenever possible.  I also like to bring out my camera, because as a photographer, I like getting out and photographing things.  It gets me out of my comfort zone, and with today's weather, trust me, I was out of my comfort zone.  Last year I kind of mentioned all of the things that go through my mind when I take pictures at the parade.  For those of you who don't want to click on the link, here is the short version.  I try to find images that I think define the event.  The kind of picture where you take a look and can kind of figure out that an Irish parade was going on.  With that in mind, here are some of the photographs that I took this year.
 Saint Patrick
f/5, 1/2500sec, ISO 400 at 45mm

Parade Queen Sarah Murphy & Princesses
f/5, 1/640sec, ISO 400 at 67mm

f/5, 1/500sec, ISO 400 at 70mm

f/11, 1/500sec, ISO 400 at 42mm

f/6.3, 1/1600sec, ISO 400 at 70mm

The first photograph that you saw at the top of the page was shot at f/6.3, 1/1600sec, ISO 400 at 54mm.  By the time the last float went by, my fingers were nice and red and I was more than ready to start moving again to warm up.  I shouldn't complain though, it was a lovely day for a parade.

No comments:

Post a Comment