Sunday 1 November 2015

The Final Whistle

The local Champlain Cavaliers football team was playing a Quarter-Final play-off game last night,so I decided to make the trek down the street one last time this season to see the team in action.  It ended up being one heck of a good game.  Things were looking pretty bleak at halftime as the team was down 22-9 and their starting quarterback had been taken out of the game in the middle of the second quarter after taking a hit.  Thinking I had a good selection of photographs, I almost headed for home at the half, but I'm really happy I didn't because I would have missed one heck of a comeback.  The team scored two fourth quarter touchdowns to take the lead 23-22 with a less than four minutes to go.  Things were looking fairly bleak when the opposing team took the ball all the way down the field and scored the go-ahead touchdown with a little bit more than two minutes to go on the following drive.  However, despair quickly turned to elation when on the ensuing kick-off, Champlain returned the ball all the way down the field and scored what would be the winning touchdown.  Final Score - Champlain 29 vs Ahuntsic 28.  Sadly, even in victory this game marked the end of my football season, photographically speaking.  Though Champlain won the game, their next play-off game will be played in Thetford Mines, and should they make it to the finals, that game will be played in St. Jean.  A bit far off for me to make the trip.  Still, I had much fun attending the three games that I made it out to this season, though I wish that one of those games would have taken place in the afternoon to provide me with a bit better light to take my photographs.  I could also use a bit of better luck.  I only got a good shot of one touchdown during the three games that I attended.  For the most part, the scores always seemed to come at the other end of the field from where I was positioned.  I only have myself to blame for this past game though as three touchdowns were scored in my end zone, but I missed the first two when I wasn't fast enough to adjust my focusing while the action was taking place and I ended up with two out of focus scores.  That really ticked me off.  I'll have to practice spinning that focus ring a little more quickly to build up my finger speed.  The first photograph was taken at f/3.2, 1/400sec, ISO 3200 at 200mm.  The second photograph was taken at f/3.2, 1/400sec, ISO 3200 at 200mm.  The third photograph was taken at f/3.2, 1/200sec, ISO 3200 at 200mm and the fourth photograph was taken at f/3.2, 1/400sec, ISO 3200 at 200mm.  Here are a few more shots of the action that took place on the field.

f/3.2, 1/400sec, ISO 3200 at 200mm


f/3.2, 1/800sec, ISO 3200 at 110mm

f/3.2, 1/500sec, ISO 3200 at 200mm

f/3.2, 1/500, ISO 3200 at 200mm

f/3.2, 1/160sec, ISO 3200 at 200mm

f/3.2, 1/160sec, ISO 3200 at 200mm

That last photograph ended up being the winning touchdown.  Congratulations to my former school on their great season, and here's wishing them much success in the semi-finals this weekend.






No comments:

Post a Comment