Tuesday 15 March 2016

Les Deuxluxes At The Corona

As previously mentioned, last week I attended a concert by the group Monster Truck at the Corona Theatre in Montreal.  Feel free to take a few minutes of your time to re-visit the photographs I took during their set right at this link.  There were two other bands performing that night.  We'll get to the second act a little but later, but today we'll talk about the opening act, a band I had never heard before called Les Deuxluxes.  They're a local duo from here in Montreal and they play some cool old-style rock and roll.  The fact that there are only two of them in the band is all the more impressive when you consider that the guitarist also doubles as the drummer.  He had his hands full on this night as not only did he have to play both instruments, and provide some backing vocals, but also had to deal with a broken string that kept coming back to haunt him on the guitar.  The singer was full of energy and was moving all over the stage while playing a mean guitar as well.  Sadly, as is the case with most opening bands, they suffered from very little lighting.  It was fine from a show standpoint, but for little old me trying to take some photographs from the crowd, it made things very difficult.  Fast moving object and low light conditions don't usually mix very well with photography.  Lots of blurring is usually the result.  So, I tried to keep my shooting limited to some of the slower moments of their set, but still took some chances with some of the faster moments, and was rewarded with a hairy shot which you'll all see a little lower.  I would have liked to shoot with a smaller aperture in order to ensure more clarity, but you play the hand that you're dealt and try to make the best of the circumstances.  I think I managed to squeeze out a couple of cool photographs from their short set.  The first photograph was taken at f/4, 1/250sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm and the second photograph was taken at f/4, 1/160sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm.  Here are a few more photographs that I took during their set.
f/4, 1/200sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm

f/4, 1/250sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm

f/3.2, 1/60sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm

f/6.3, 1/60sec,ISO 3200 at 50mm

f/5,1/60sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm

This last photograph caused something of a little internal debate.  I couldn't decide whether I liked it better in colour or in black and white.  I was leaning more towards the black and white version because I felt that it made certain elements of the photograph stand out, also because I felt it gave a little more detail to the singers face.  My Lovely Assistant preferred the colour version because she liked the purple that was on the drums as well as the colour in the singers outfit.  I was trying to decide which one that I should include in this update when I finally came to the realization that this is my page and there is no real limit to the number of photographs that I can include with these blog posts.  There might even be an equal number of you out there who like the black and white as well as the colour version.  So, here are both versions.  It was taken at f/5, 1/100sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm.  They were only on the stage for about half an hour, but they more than took advantage of their time by capturing the audience with their energy and music.  I'm sure there were people like me at the show who had never heard them before, and I think that like me, they probably left with a very good impression of the band.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment