Thursday 10 March 2016

Monster Truck at The Corona

It's been a while since I've been able to get my camera into a rock show.  I've been thinking about going to see Monster Truck at the Corona Theatre for a couple of weeks now for a couple of reasons.  One, they're a really good Canadian band from Hamilton who I had previously seen a few years back at an edition of Heavy Montreal, and I enjoy both of their albums.  The second reason was the location.  I have been very fortunate in not having any problems getting my camera into the Corona Theatre.  Well, a compact version of my camera and only my 50mm lens, but pickers can't be choosers, as the old saying goes, and I'm happy to at least get those through the door as opposed to nothing at all.  I managed to position myself in a corner of the theatre against a wall, and waited for the show to begin.  Monster Truck was the headliner of a three group concert, some photographs from the other two bands will hopefully find their way to this site soon enough as well. I tried to mix things up a little bit while I was taking some photographs by trying to get a few specific shots.  I wanted to get a shot of the drummer with his sticks in the air.  I think I captured a pretty cool photograph of that with the second photograph that you see here on the page.  There is also a lot of headbanging that goes on at these shows, and I was hoping to get a shot of singer/bassist Jon Harvey with his hair flying.  The third photograph on the page is where I got just the right moment where his hair is flying, but you can still see his smiling face behind the flowing locks.  Another fun little photograph that I came upon by chance happened when someone in front of me pulled out their cell phone to record some of the concert.  I focused on the cellphone, which threw the rest of the image out of focus.  It might not be something that everybody thinks of, but I think seeing the action through the eyes of another camera is kind of cool.  I've done this kind of photograph a few times now and I really like the final result.  With the rest of the photographs, I pretty much just tried to capture the band rocking out.  It was an evening of good fun.  The first photograph was taken at f/4, 1/100sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm.  The second photograph was taken at f/4, 1/40sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm and the third photograph was taken at f/4, 1/50sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm.  Here are a few more photographs that I took during the show.

f/4, 1/80sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm

f/2.2, 1/100sec, ISO 1600 at 50mm

f/3.2, 1/30sec, ISO 1600 at 50mm

f/4, 1/60sec, ISO 1600 at 50mm

f/7.1, 1/125sec, ISO 1600 at 50mm

It was a great show, made all the more fun by my being able to get some photographs of the event as well.  Hopefully my luck getting my camera into these show will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment