Tuesday 24 May 2016

Pontiac Star Chief

As you regular readers should well be aware, this past Sunday was the latest edition of the Classic Car Exposition held in the city of Saint-Lambert.  I try to attend this show when I can because I like to look at the old cars.  This year, despite the fact that there were more cars on display than ever before, I began to run into a little problem.  Most of the cars on display had already been photographed by yours truly.  After walking up and down the streets a few times, I was able to find a few new models that had yet to be featured in front of my lens, so I was able to get home with more than just a sunburn.  This first car is a 1954 Pontiac Star Chief.  Back in '54, the Star Chief was considered to be Pontiac's prestige model of car.  There is a bit of a Canadian connection to this car brand and model.  The name 'Pontiac' was taken from a Native American war chief of the same name from the Great Lakes Region, who gained fame by leading an attack of Fort Detroit in May of 1763.  The logo on the front of the car, though it may not be seen as being very politically correct today, was known as 'Chief Pontiac'.  When the lights of the car were turned on, the head of the logo would light up as well.  Politically correct or not, this detail of the car is what caught my eye.  I took a tight horizontal shot of the hood ornament, but my I stuck around to also take one vertically because I really liked the lines that were leading from the ornament away to the windshield.  The first photograph was taken at f/4, 1/640sec, ISO 100 at 45mm and the second photograph was taken at f/4, 1/1000sec, ISO 100 at 38mm.  These are the kind of things I focused on this year.  Hood ornaments are something that is missing from modern day models.  Something a little unique to make the car stand out.  I suppose from a driving standpoint, they don't add much to the performance of the car, but from a photographic point of view, they give me something I can photograph without having to worry about passers-by or cardboard identification signs muddying up my shot.


No comments:

Post a Comment