Monday 16 May 2016

Rock Candy

Trips to the candy store are getting a little rough.  There aren't that many more photogenic candies out there that I have yet to taste, I mean, take photographs of.  This one came as a bit of a surprise.  This is some chocolate rock candy, and to be honest, I didn't really think it would be either tasty or make for a cool photograph.  They aren't quite as flashy as the gummies or jujubes, but I liked how the light brought out their texture and they also provided the perfect scene to play with different apertures.  Changing the aperture allows me to control just how much of the photograph remains in focus, meaning I can make the entire scene stand out, or really just focus on a particular piece of candy.  The first photograph was taken at f/14, 1/80sec, ISO 400 at 60mm.

f/4, 1/1000sec, ISO 400 at 60mm

f/14, 1/80sec, ISO 400 at 60mm

My trusty macro lens helped out with some of the blurring of the background and the lighting was handled by some good old-fashioned sunshine and a white plate that I put next to the candies in order to reflect some light onto the other side.  Studio lighting at home, and with the money saved, you can go and buy more candies.

No comments:

Post a Comment