Thursday 9 March 2017

Dust In The Wind

We're getting near the end of the 2016 watermarked photographs.  This little batch was created during a dull afternoon when I tried to save a photograph that I had taken. I had made the mistake of heading out to shoot some photographs of the Jacques Cartier Bridge without cleaning my camera first.  The result was a bunch of photographs that were covered with dust spots.  Frustrated, I decided to play around in Photoshop, trying to see if I could save the images and maybe create something with them.  I figured that it's a good time to finally put these photographs up on the blog since the bridge is currently going through a bit of a make-over as lights are being installed on the outside of the structure.  You can see many of the dust spots in the first photograph that is presented at the top of the page. I had begun to try and get rid of them using the Clone Stamp too in Photoshop, but there was just so many of them, and in many inopportune places.  So, I began to play around with several of the different textures and filters that the program offers.  The end result was the second photograph that you see on the page.  It kind of ended up looking like a painting.  That's a good thing since I would never be able to draw or actually paint that thing myself.  The third image looks a little bit more like a photograph than the second one.  I managed to get rid of the dust spots from that one by using the Curves tool and also also playing around with the colours.  I ended up losing some of the sky in the upper left-hand corner, but preserved lots of the red of the setting sun while still keeping some of the blue on the top right.  All three of these images came from the same original photograph, which was taken at f/7.1, 1/60sec, ISO 100 at 40mm.  I'm still ages away from being proficient with all of the options that Photoshop has to offer, but it's nice to be able to do a little bit of tweaking here and there in order to save a photograph and make something out of what I had previously considered to be a lost cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment