Thursday 1 February 2018

Forgotten Fireworks

Here's a little story on how some of my photographs end up getting lost in the archives.  Back in December, there was a weekly fireworks show down at the Old Port of Montreal every Saturday for a month.  There was also a fireworks display on New Year's Eve, which fell on a Saturday.  Since I had planned on using the New Year's Eve fireworks as an update, I felt that it would be better to use those first since it was topical at the moment.  I figured I'd get back to the Saturday night fireworks shortly after that.  However, the next Saturday there was another show, so those photographs ended up getting posted instead.  Next thing you know, a month has suddenly gone by and these photographs were still taking up place on my hard drive.  So, before the July fireworks end up arriving, I felt that I had better get these up.  A fun little story about these photographs, it was rather cold that night, as it was for much of the month of December this year.  I decided to leave about ten minutes later than I should have because I figured it would mean ten less minutes standing in the cold wind down by the river.  Sounds like a reasonable plan, however, once I got to where I wanted to be, I found that there were big metal barriers that were blocking my path and some nice red signs that read 'No Trespassing, People Crossing This Line Will Be Prosecuted'.  Other than being rather annoyed, I was also left scrambling as the fireworks were due to begin in ten minutes.  I raced back to my car, went to the next parking lot and raced up to the snow covered walking path of the Jacques Cartier Bridge.  I was still setting up my tripod as the fireworks began, but since the show lasts for fifteen minutes I was still pretty sure that I'd be able to grab a few nice shots.  The passing cars and trucks caused a bit of camera shake, which was kind of annoying, but I learned to watch for the oncoming traffic and tried to time my photographs when less cars would be passing by.  As it was, the first location I wanted to use ended up being closed for a good reason.  I would soon discover all of the fireworks for the big New Year's Eve show had been set up along the riverside, making for a pretty good reason why they wouldn't want people like me walking around the place.  Also, I was planning on taking some photographs from that spot up on the bridge at some point anyway, so it wasn't that big of a loss.  It was also a little entertaining to see the quizzical looks on some of the people riding in their cars as they passed, trying to figure out what I was doing up there.  The first and second photographs was taken at f/16, 10sec, ISO 100 at 50mm.  The third photograph was taken at f/16, 13sec, ISO 100 at 50mm.  The fourth photograph was taken at f/16, 8sec, ISO 100 at 50mm and the fifth photograph was taken at f/16, 15sec, ISO 100 at 50mm.  Here are a few more photographs that were taken of the display.
f/16, 10sec, ISO 100 at 50mm

f/16, 15sec, ISO 100 at 50mm

f/16, 10sec, ISO 100 at 50mm

I really like doing those wide angle style photographs with the fireworks on one end and the buildings of downtown Montreal on the other.  It gives me an odd joy to see these large buildings that I see all of the time look small next to the bright lights.  Just a little something extra added to the skyline.

No comments:

Post a Comment