Thursday 15 July 2021

Ring Of Fire

We've reached the midpoint of July, which means that in other pre-Plague years, we'd be half way done with the annual Loto-Québec Fireworks Competition would have be half done as well.  The annual competition was cancelled for the second year in a row, so I've been going through my old folders looking for some unused shots from previous years.  That's when I stumbled upon this shot from the display produced by South Korean company, Hanwah Corporation, back in July of 2019.  I was really impressed with their display at the time and was sure that they would win the Golden Jupiter Award that year.  I guess the judges didn't agree with me as they ended up in fifth place, but their display really impressed me by including pyrotechnic elements that I have never before seen.  Including this ring of fire effect.  I had originally wanted to do this as a vertical shot with the reflection of the fireworks in the water, but there was a boat unfortunately placed in the reflection so my inner perfectionist wasn't happy.  So, I went with this square crop instead.  The photograph was taken at f/16, 20sec, ISO 100 at 41mm.  Then, because I am a bit of a completist, I went and cropped it vertically anyway.

Looking at the older photographs is fun, but I'm looking forward to being able to shoot some live explosions again some day soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment