Saturday 24 August 2013

Good-Bye Cotton Street

Here's a bit of news that I didn't think I'd write.  My parents sold their house.  This bit of news wouldn't really figure to be that important in my little world of photography, but where my parents live has provided me with many flowery models through the years and produced some of my favourite photographs as well as providing all kinds of practice when it comes to framing and experimenting with aperture and shutter speed.  In other words, my Mom & Dad's backyard has kind of served as a photography school where I have shot hundreds of photographs over the years.  I ended up paying my last visit to their house today, and in-between moving boxes around and picking over family relics, I did what comes natural for me.  I took some pictures.  This isn't really the end of the line for photos from what will now be know as my Mom & Dad's old backyard.  I have photos taken all the way back in May that I still haven't had the time to share with you just yet.  As a matter of fact, I may need to keep those photos in reserve for a while if my Mom doesn't have the time to weave her magic on a new flower bed for me to take pictures of come next Spring.  An obvious choice for my final Cotton Street picture would have been a Day Lily.  They're the flowers that have seen the most screen time here on the blog.  You can see some shots of my Mom's Day Lilies here and here.  Instead, I chose to go with something a little more colourful, because my Mom's flowerbed has always been full of colour.  This photo was taken at f/4, 1/800sec, ISO 100 at 51mm and features some yellow Rudbeckia Hirta's (otherwise known as Brown-Eyed Susan's) as well as some blue and pink Phlox.  We had some good times on Cotton street, and don't worry Mom & Dad, we'll have plenty more at the new place as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment