Saturday 31 August 2013

There Is Trouble With The Trees

This is one of those odd photos where something grabs my eye and I need to snap away.  What we see here is a tree that is comfortably planted along the Rideau Canal in Ottawa.  The front of the tree appears to be rather dead, with two branches reaching out like arms.  That's what drew me to this tree in the first place.  It looks like a refugee from the Lord of the Rings films.  I was on a boat ride along the canal when we passed this guy, thanks Paul's Boat Lines, and I had to take a picture.  I noticed that a cyclist was coming down the path near the time when we would be passing the tree, so I crossed my fingers that he would pass at just the right moment since I couldn't ask the skipper to stop the boat.  I think I got him at just the right time where it looks like the tree is reaching out to try and scoop up the cyclist.  That's what I saw anyway.  My Lovely Assistant claims that I have quite the imagination in order to see all of that.  Guilty as charged.  This photo was taken at f/6.3, 1/400sec, ISO 400 at 48mm.  I shot at ISO 400 because it was a rather cloudy day and I figured I'd need the extra shutter speed that the higher ISO would allow me, especially if I wanted to freeze the cyclist.  Shooting at f/6.3 was important because I didn't want to risk having the tree or cyclist be blurred out by using a larger aperture.  So there you have it, most people see a cyclist going by a tree, I see a dangerous man-eating tree about to snack on a cyclist.  Maybe my imagination is a little out of whack after all.  Wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment