Wednesday 23 October 2013

Blue Tie Affair

Back to my Mom's garden we go.  Well, I suppose I should say former garden since they moved two months ago and sadly left all of the flowers you've seen this year behind.  I'm hoping that my Mom will have the chance to do some planting in the Spring because if she doesn't, all of you out there might be stuck looking at photos of my old Star Wars or G.I. Joe action figures come this time next year.  The flower you see here today is a blue Tradescantia, a wildflower that grew in my Mom's garden.  What's special about this particular flower, is that it usually has three petals, as you can see in the second photograph.  For some reason, this one only had two, which is what drew my eye to it in the first place.  It kind of looked like a tiny blue bow tie.  I once again used my Macro lens to take these photographs and was really happy with the results.  I really like the texture of the petals and all of the lines you can see in them.  I also like the little stems in the center of the flower and the little yellow anthers.  You can even see a tiny piece of pollen on each of the flowers.  The first photograph was taken at f/4, 1/200sec, ISO 400 at 60mm.  The second photograph was taken at f/4, 1/125sec, ISO 400 at 60mm.  I still get a kick out of the blurring effect you get from using the Macro lens.  It is possible to get a nice blurred background with a regular lens, but using the Macro really kicks it up a notch, really helping to separate the main subject of the photograph from the background.  Now if you'll excuse me, I need to find a blue suit that matches the blue bow tie.

No comments:

Post a Comment