Sunday 20 October 2013

Crack The Sky












For the last three years, whenever I needed to be at the 'Day Job' for 7:00AM, I'd find myself driving and looking at the sky and saying to myself, why the heck am I going there instead of trying to find a place to take a photo of the early morning sky.  It would often be bright red, or full of white clouds and it would kill me to head to the 'Day Job' rather than do something that I really wanted to do, take some photographs.  So, this morning I found myself in a situation where it was My Lovely Assistant who had to begin at 7:00AM and I was off.  I had decided the night before that I'd wake up early as well and go out to take some photos when she left for work.  I ran into a few problems along the way.  My sorry butt wanted nothing to do with getting out of bed at 5:45AM.  Not many of my other parts wanted to get out of bed at 5:45AM either.  I finally crawled out of the bed as she walked out the door a little after 6:30AM and I was on the road by 6:50AM.  That's when I ran into the second problem, the sky was full of dark rain clouds, the remains of the showers that had passed through over night.  Nowhere to be seen was the bright red sky or the puffy white clouds I was looking for.  The sun finally started to come through around 7:30AM and the sky began to look a little interesting as the sun would begin to shine through the cracks in the clouds.  Then came the third problem.  Where could I go to take a picture of this sky?  I was driving on Taschereau Blvd and always seemed to find myself on the wrong side, being forced to try and take a picture through all of the various wires that line the road.  I finally drove into a parking lot and decided I was going to sit there until the cracks made their way to me.  The wind was still blowing pretty hard , so it didn't take very long.  I grabbed the photo you see here and then made my way home.  I took this photograph at f/22, 1/100sec, ISO 100, -1 Exposure at 67mm.  I then cropped it to 4" by 12".  The photo captures how dark the cloud cover was in the early morning, yet how blue the actual sky was once clear of the clouds.  I'll be honest, this isn't exactly the photo I had envisioned.  I'm putting it up here to remind me that I need to go back out there one morning soon so that I can get the picture that I wanted.  I'll just remember to check the weather reports the night before.  Oh, and if someone could move Sunrise to something closer to 10:00AM, I'd appreciate that as well.  Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment