Monday 21 October 2013

The Stone Family

Those of you who passed by over the last 24 hours already know about my attempt to get a photograph of the sun rising in the morning.  I ended up driving around for a couple of hours before finally calling an end to my morning as the clouds had begun to clear out and the sun was coming out in full force.  As I was making my way home through Saint-Lambert, I ended up driving by the Le Balcon d'Art art gallery.  Outside of the gallery stands a stone statue of a family and as I was driving by, my eye caught the way that the sun was hitting the statue.  I parked my car and got out to snap a few portraits since the family was already doing such a good job of posing for me.  As I said, what caught my eye was the way that the sun was hitting the statue.  I really like the triangle that the is on the face of Mrs. Stone and the silhouette of the younger child that can be seen on the dress of the older child.  The same can be said for the second photograph.  The sun seemed to bring out all kinds of details in the stone such as hairlines and clothing.  The first photograph was taken at f/5, 1/125sec, ISO 100, -1 Exposure at 34mm.  The second photograph was taken at f/4, 1/125sec, ISO 100, -1 Exposure at 43mm.  I'd like to give a logical reason for my having taken the shots at -1 Exposure, but the truth is that I forgot to reset my camera after having taken the pictures of the sky earlier that morning.  I know, I've been talking about fixing that problem all year.  It will have to be at the top of my Things To Do In 2014 list.  I was also surprised that I chose to go with my f/5 shot for the first photo.  I didn't want to use to large of an aperture and risk losing the name of the art gallery, but the smaller apertures seemed to not separate the statue from the building as well as I wanted.  With that, my early morning adventure came to an end.  I didn't end up getting the photographs of the sky that I was hoping for, but I was also really happy with these Stone family portraits.  At the very least, I didn't feel like I had wasted my morning.

2 comments:

  1. Their name is actually, the Beauchamp family.
    It's a sculpture that was done after my dad passed away as a kind of tribute to my family and what we have built together over the years.
    They stand guard of the building and everything we accomplished over the years. The father or Mr. Stone as you call him, has a red patina on his head. My dad was a red head.
    I love your second photo best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, thanks for the comment. Other than the spam message I deleted about hotels in India, this is comment number.....2 in over a year. Glad to know people are out there and reading. Thanks for the info about the statue. I kind of had a feeling that it was of your family, but I wasn't 100% sure.

    ReplyDelete