Tuesday 21 June 2016

Violas & A Friend

This past Sunday was Father's Day, which meant a visit to Mom & Dad.  Longtime readers will also know that a visit to see Mom & Dad also generally means a visit to Mom's garden, a magical land full of colourful flowers just waiting to be photographed.  Sadly, the visit was probably a week or two late as many of the flowers in the garden had already bloomed a while ago and were showing their age.  All was not lost, however, when I spotted a little pot on the swing with these little Violas.  They were barely the size of the nail on my pinkie finger, but their yellow and blue colour, along with the deep black lines grabbed my attention.  As I was taking the first few photographs, I began to notice something moving quickly over the petals.  It ended up being a tiny red spider.  Sadly, it didn't take direction very well and wouldn't stop moving, so I took a few quick shots in burst mode with the hopes that I'd catch the little guy in action.  He's a little bit out of focus since I was shooting with a large aperture, but the mere fact that I was able to catch him considering his size made me quite happy.  The first photograph was taken at f/8, 1/50sec, ISO 400 at 60mm.  Here is the second photograph.

f/4, 1/250sec, ISO 400 at 60mm

After the colours, what I really like about these photographs is they show the power of the Macro lens.  As I mentioned, the flower itself was the size of my small nail and the spider was about the size of a pin head.  Yet here they both are, large and alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment