Monday 1 February 2021

Looking Out My Back Door

Since we're all confined and curfewed, I've been trying to do some different things photographically.  One of my biggest headaches has been using an external flash on my camera.  I had some fun with it during the holidays, photographing some of My Lovely Assistant's culinary creations.  So, I decided to take the classroom outside.  There was a odd snow creation on the deck railing outside of the house, so I decided to snap a few photographs.  I waited for the sun to begin to set and found an angle that I found interesting and began to experiment.  I lowered the power of the flash so that it would serve as a fill light.  Giving enough light to brighten the front of the snow, but not powerful enough to blow out the background and even allow for some of the sun to shine through the holes in the snow.  The photograph was taken at f/16, 1/160sec, ISO 100 at 38mm with some flash bounced off of a card at 1/3 power.  I'm still far from being super confident with flash, but it's always important to have a little fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment