Tuesday 23 March 2021

Favourite Winter Moment

We've arrived near the end of the month of March.  A month that is loved by many because it means that Winter is almost over.  Infact, the first day of Spring has just passed.  Winter is almost over and the misery of the heat and humidy of summer is but a few weeks away.  So, in honour of my favourite frigid moments, here is a photograph that I took on the coldest day of the year.  It was -26C with the windchill that morning so of course I thought it would be a bright idea to head down to the river.  I was there originally to take a photograph of the moon over Montreal, but quickly realized that the rising sun over the foggy water with the iconic Victoria Bridge in the background would be a far more interesting shot.  I quickly marched over to the river, made my way gently down to the shoreline and snapped away.  I chose this particular shot, taken at f/16, 1/400sec, ISO 100 at 70mm, because it looked like the fog was parting for the sun.  I then did a second version of the photo cropped to a more wide-angle shot because while I feel the regular sized version does a good job of showing how cold it was with the water, the wider version just seems a little more dramatic.  I love these kinds of morning, where the air is crisp, clear and cold.  You don't get them in July.

No comments:

Post a Comment