Sunday 1 August 2021

Hungry Dragonfly

I find most winged insects to be quite fascinating.  Except for wasps, they're just plain jerks.  Growing up, we had a cottage on a lake and there were always lots of dragonflies.  I enjoyed watching them because they were so large, but also quite graceful.  They would visit the flowerbed in front of our cottage and to rest and dine amongst the flowers.  When visiting the cottage of My Lovely Assistant's father, I was happy to discover that there were lots of dragonflies there too, and that they didn't mind my taking photographs of them as they munched away.  But, they would always test my patience first.  Before giving me a good pose, they would always seem to fly around the yard, teasing me with their presence, or take off from their designated spot as soon as I would find a good angle to shoot them.  They would have their fun, watching me follow them around the yard, and then I would have mine photographing them.  The first photograph, which was taken at f/8, 1/1250sec, ISO 1600 at 200mm, was particularly fun.  I'm not sure if it will show properly considering the small file size I use to post these photographs, but it was almost as if he took a break from his meal to turn his head and smile at the camera.  Or, that's what I would like to think it is doing.  The second photograph just below was taken at f/8, a/1600sec, ISO 1600 at 200mm.  It's always enjoyable to watch, and photograph, these little guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment