Sunday 27 December 2015

Chocolate And Pear Yule Log

The arrival of the Christmas Holiday season means that all kinds of tasty treats tend to appear on the diner tables of families near and far.  Such is the case in this household and the season allows the cooking and baking talents of My Lovely Assistant to shine.  It also means a little bit of performance anxiety on my part as I try and take nice photographs of the tasty treats she creates.  Her pièce de résistance was a couple of Christmas Yule Log cakes, known as bûche de Noël in french.  This is the first of the two bûches.  It was nicely decorated with homemade gingerbread trees, some sugar balls and cranberries.  To add a little bit of the holiday feeling to the photograph, a little Christmas themed table centerpiece was added.  I suppose that I could have also used some kind of place mat or table cloth to add something to the photograph, but I really liked the look of our wooden table in this instance.  It was late in the afternoon when I took these photographs, so I had to go to my dreaded enemy, 'Flash'.  I've been practicing my flash usage, and in this instance, I bounced the light off of the ceiling and used a slower shutter speed than usual.  I think the results came out pretty well.  The first photograph was taken at f/4, 1/160sec, ISO 100 at 24mm.  The second photograph was taken at f/4, 1/125sec, ISO 400 at 24mm.  I tried several different angles while taking the photographs, so much so that My Lovely Assistant may have mentioned that it was taking me longer to photograph the cake than it took for her to make it.  Though time needs to be controlled in the baking game, it's a little more felxible when it comes to photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment