Saturday 12 December 2015

Experimenting With Steel Panther

As hard as it may be for those of you out there who know me to believe, I tend to spend lots of time in front of my computer.  I can only imagine the shock that admission might be causing some of you.  Some of that computer time is spent trying out different things with my photographs in Photoshop.  I particularly enjoy trying to play with different Filters in the program.  One filter that I have learned to have fun with lately is the Sumi-e filter.  Sumi-e is an ancient Japanese art form of brush painting, which I would have probably never discovered had it not been for Photoshop.  I like the effect that the filter has on my photographs, making them look kind of like a painting.  I've tried it with a few of my photographs now, but the debut on this website will belong to this image of the band Steel Panther.  I attended a concert by Steel Panther and Future Villains back in May of this year.  I managed to get my camera into the venue and took lots of photographs.  You can see the shots I took of Steel Panther here and the shots I took of Future Villains here. Getting back to the transformation, while using the Sumi-e, the Photoshop program asks you to use different kind of brush strokes.  After trying out several different combinations, I ended up using a short stroke width with a high stroke pressure.  The final result is what you see in the second photograph.  The original photograph was shot at f/4.5, 1/320sec, ISO 3200 at 50mm.  You can also see that I cropped the second photograph a little bit to get rid of the microphone stand and to put the cell phone that is in the foreground of the photograph more in the corner.  I tried other brush stroke filters on this photograph as well, but I've yet to get them where I like.  Maybe we'll see this image up here in another form some day.


No comments:

Post a Comment