Thursday 10 December 2015

Fun With Daffodils

The year is quickly coming to an end as I begin to face the cold hard fact that I'm once again going to end the year with a large collection of photographs that I have yet to post up on the blog.  I think I mentioned here one time that I probably have enough photographs in my hard drive to go an entire year without taking another one.  That's obviously not going to happen as I'm often at my happiest when I've got my camera in my hands.  So, I'll continue to dig around that hard drive and be thankful that in the digital age, I can store all of those photographs rather easily.  Which bring us to these photographs.  Taken back in the month of April, these are some close-ups of Daffodils.  I had bought them because the Daffodil is sold by the Canadian Cancer Society as a way to raise funds for Cancer research.  Sadly, this terrible disease has touched my family, and it's probably, and sadly, a safe bet that it has touched those of you who are reading.  Over the years I've lost family members, and friends to the disease.  I wanted to do something nice with these flowers, and I really like doing close-ups.  I focused on the stamen of the flower and tried to get as much detail in the shots as possible. I took two different photographs.  The first, taken at f/9, 1/100sec, ISO 400 at 60mm  I wanted to capture the detail of the stamen and the pollen, as well as the yellow colour of the Daffodil.  With the second photograph, taken at f/20, 1/80sec, ISO 400 at 60mm, I was more interested in the petals and the texture of the flower.  To get both photographs, I simply moved the flower around.  I had the Daffodil facing the sun in the first shot, while in the second I put the sun behind the flower.  It's all about placing your light.  Now, back to the hard drive to see how many more photographs I can unleash on you all before the calendar turns.


No comments:

Post a Comment