Thursday 25 February 2016

Different Perspectives

There comes a certain time when as a photographer I get a little bogged down with the feeling that any photograph that I put up here has already seen this page in some way or form.  This photograph is kind of an example.  It's a photograph that I took of the old Clock Tower down at the Old Port of Montreal.  The tower was built in 1922 as a memorial to Canadian sailors who had died during World War I.  It is a building that I've photographed several times, and others have photographed even more.  But, when I'm in the area I still can't help but want to photograph it again.  I guess the trick is to try and see things from a different perspective.  One of the things I try to keep in mind is to move.  To try and see things from a different angle.  So, that's what I did.  The first photograph is something along the lines of what I've taken several times before.  I tried to line up the photograph so that everything leads to the Clock Tower.  If you follow the sidewalk, the lamps or the tops of the trees, they all lead end up at the tower.  It's not that far out of a concept, it's something any photographer learns pretty early in the game.  The photograph was taken at f/8, 1/500sec, ISO 100 at 66mm.  So, what can I do that would be a little different?  How about this.
Change the angle.  It's not the most amazing photograph ever taken, but for me it was something fun and a little different.  I walked up the base of the tower, pointed my camera up and snapped away.  Rather than looking up at the tower, you might think I'm looking down at a sidewalk.  The second photograph was taken at f/6.3, 1/1000sec, ISO 100 at 24mm.  Same building, just from another view.  I guess that's kind of the trick, seeing things from different perspectives helps to keep things fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment