Saturday 13 February 2016

Sweets For My Sweet

It is big business time for flowers, candies, chocolates and other romantic unmentionables.  That's right, Valentine's Day is back again.  Some people call it nothing but a day created by stores to build business, and they might be correct, but for a photographer, it also means all kinds of fun activities.  Two of the things that I really like photographing are flowers and candy.  Both are full of bright colours and interesting shapes.  Since the last few Valentine's Day posts have featured flowers, I figured we'd go the other route this year.  I actually found these candies last year at Biscuiterie Oscar.  It's a little candy shop on St. Hubert street in Montreal.  A little visit to Lozeau is never complete without a stop over at Oscar for something sweet.  I grabbed these up while picking up some frames for my photography exhibition last year and, being the kind of guy who likes to think ahead, thought they would make a nice little update for Valentine's Day.  I played around with a couple of different apertures, moved the candies around a little bit and let Mother Nature take care of the lighting.  The first photograph was taken at f/4, 1/125sec, ISO 100 at 59mm and the second photograph was taken at f/6.3, 1/80sec, ISO 100 at 64mm.  I liked the mixture of the whites and bright reds.  I also really liked how depending on how I positioned that red heart, it made the little bits of sugar stand out.  As is the case with most of my candy photographs, I hope you find them all to be as interesting as I found them to be tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment