Saturday 4 August 2018

Montreal International Fireworks Competition - Italy

We're nearing the end of another year of fireworks, bringing loud explosions and colour to the sky over Montreal.  This past Wednesday was the final competition show for L'International Des Feux Loto-Québec and it was Italy were the final Country to try and win the 2018 Golden Jupiter Award.  Representing Italy was the Giuliani Fireworks Company.  They have been in the fireworks business going back five generation and over 100 years.  They've titled their show 'The Italian Dream' and have themed their fireworks display and music to be powerful, colourful and romantic.  To capture the show, I went to one of my favourite locations to photograph these shows, a pedestrian overpass that crosses Taschereau boulevard in Longueuil.  I named a photograph I took from this location 'Bernard's View' at my very first photography exhibition in honour of Bernard Brault, a photographer for the La Presse newspaper.  He had taken a photograph from that location several years ago, I recognized it and I return every year.  The thing is, so does he and it remains an unfulfilled dream of mine to end up on that overpass the same time as he does.  I missed him by two shows this year, so I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that my timing will finally be right next year. The first two photographs were taken at f/16, 10sec, ISO 100 at 70mm.  Here are some more photographs that I took of the show.

f/16, 13sec, ISO 100 at 70mm

f/16, 10sec, ISO 100 at 70mm

f/16, 13sec, ISO 100 at 70mm

f/16, 13sec, ISO 100 at 70mm

I had my second brush with rain for the week during this show.  The heavens opened up with about 10 minutes left in the show, but luckily the big rain held off until My Lovely Assistant and I were able to get back to her Mom's house and safety.  There is only one more show left this year, all good things must end.  Hopefully the weather will once again co-operate.

No comments:

Post a Comment